What Are The Paint Requirements For Marine Vehicles| |
Boats and other marine vehicles undergo some serious wear and tear due to the conditions they operate in, from regular exposure to water and harsh sunlight to freezing winds, bird droppings, and salt spray.
The only barrier standing between all of the above and the boat is a coat of paint. That’s why it’s vital to take a careful approach to choosing the right paint for your marine vehicle. Let’s talk about the basic requirements.
Even though this one seems obvious, it’s not as easy to choose a waterproof paint as some may think. Several types of waterproof paint are available:
- Epoxy Paint – made from epoxy-based resin, this waterproof paint can be used for virtually any surface. It’s one of the most frequently chosen paints for marine vehicles due to its high durability and resistance to heat and rust. You can use epoxy paint for exterior and interior surfaces of a marine vehicle. It’s easy to clean, long-lasting, and fast-drying. However in external application top coat colour will chalk and fade.
- Acrylic paint – This coating is ideal for going on top of Epoxy primers to give a good durable topcoat that is not suspectable to colour chalking and fading. The main advantages of this paint are that it’s easy to use and dries quickly.
Since aquatic vehicles operate in a tough environment, the paint needs to be highly durable. The most durable paints are
- Polyurethane enamel resin – improves durability and abrasion resistance.
- Epoxy resin – improves adhesive properties, durability, and resistance to chemicals.
- Zinc Phosphate – improves corrosion resistance, paint adhesion and durability.
- Micaceous Iron Oxide – protects surfaces from severe elements and salt water
Unless you are painting the boat from scratch or planning to remove all the previous paint, you need to check which paint it was coated with before. Otherwise, you may face adherence problems.
If the previous owner left you information about the old paint, you are in luck. If not, you can contact a paint provider for a consultation. You may need to use a “tie” coat of paint between the old and new one.
At TA Paints, we have a wide selection of durable, waterproof, and weather-resistant marine vehicle paint. Our experts are always ready to consult you on choosing the right product for your needs. Order today and get free delivery on all orders over £200.