Using Compliant Paint: The Importance Of Following Solvent Regulations


The choice of the right paint for your business doesn’t just depend on its durability, cost, and colour. The paint must comply with UK and EU solvent regulations. While there are general guidelines for anyone using solvents in the United Kingdom, each industry has its own regulations about paints containing solvent.

At TA Paints, we closely follow the regulations and any changes in the Acts to make sure our paint is fully compliant with the solvent regulations. We would like to share several factors we, as a manufacturer, and you, as a client, should be aware of.

Directive 2004/42/CE Of The European Parliament & Of Council

This EU regulation is aimed at reducing the amount of VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) released into the air. The VOC content of some paints increases the volume of emissions into the air, thus contributing to the formation of photochemical oxidants in the troposphere.

In other words, a high content of VOCs in a paint can damage the ozone layer. That’s why paint manufacturers must comply with certain standards. The VOC content limit values are stated in the Regulations.

Each can of paint or primer you purchase must be labelled appropriately, stating the maximum VOC content in the product. If the paint you’ve planning to purchase doesn’t have such a label, we recommend looking for another option.

Complying With BS DD CEN/TS 14235:2002

Even if the paint complies with the VOC content regulations, some industries need to go further. The food industry, which ranges from product storage to school dinners, needs to use special paint, complying with BS DD CEN/TS 14235:2002.

This guide was developed by the Technical Committees of The European Committee For Standardisation (CEN) and adopted by the British Standards Institution (BSI). Even though this guide is not legally binding, it’s a recommendation which should be followed.

Food business owners and facility managers have to pay close attention to the quality of the paint they use. Food safety requirements for paint are strict. This type of paint must come with a food contact certificate stating that the coating is intended for food contact surfaces.

Certificate Of Compliance

Companies that use solvents need to comply with Solvent Regulations 2012. These legally binding regulations apply to companies that use from one to ten tons of solvent per year. The local authority gives such businesses a Certificate Of Compliance, which is valid for three years.

Companies that work with over 10 tons of solvents need to comply with the Environmental Protection Act 1990 and obtain an International Plant Protection Convention (IPPC) license.

Overall, complying with paint regulations can safeguard the good reputation of your company while reducing the impact on our planet. The only way to make sure you are getting compliant products is to ask the manufacturer about appropriate certificates and labels.

At TA Paints, we comply with all the necessary rules and regulations when producing paints for numerous industries. If you have any questions about our products, simply get in touch.